The Revelstoke Aquatic Centre has experienced a partial closure after its main heating source was badly damaged in a fire on Monday.
The Revelstoke Community Energy Corporation’s district energy system was badly damaged in a fire on Monday morning. It supplies heat to the pool.
A backup boiler that heats the entire community centre is running, but is struggling to heat the whole complex and the pool.
As a result, on Friday, Feb. 27 city officials announced the hot tub, tot pool and waterslide are closed, while the leisure pool, lap pool, steam room and sauna are open.
However, the pool is running colder than normal – 26.3º Celsius – and the backup boiler may not be able to maintain that heat. If it can’t, the pool may yet close.
Managers of the district energy system are exploring options to bring in a temporary generator for the district system.