Heat, Eagles win at Revelstoke Forum

The Revelstoke Grizzlies took one of a possible four points in two very close games at the Revelstoke Forum.

Revelstoke Grizzlies forward Steven Fiust attempts a shot on Chase Heat goaltender, Michael Byer, on Jan 16. at the Revelstoke Forum. Chase won 3-2. Photo: Kyle Simkins/Revelstoke Mountaineer

After a convincing win in Sicamous on January 10, the Grizzlies were looking to start a win streak as the Chase Heat invaded the Revelstoke Forum on Friday, Jan. 16.
It was the visiting Heat that jumped out in front when at 5:41 in the first period, forward Kaleb Boyle, snuck one past Grizzlies goaltender Michael Lenko.
Less than two minutes later, Boyle was at it again, scoring his second goal of the period at 3:45 to put the Heat up 2-0 at the first intermission.
With three goals in the past two games, Grizzlies forward Michael Roberts was looking to extend his scoring streak on Friday night.
It didn’t take long into the second at 14:50, Roberts found himself alone with the puck in front of Chase net minder, Michael Byer, going top shelf to pull the Grizzlies to within one.
The Grizzlies came out firing in the third period trying to get the equalizer but at 11:45 while on the power play, Kaleb Boyle scored his third of the night for the Heat and the hat trick to pull ahead 3-1.
While peppering net minder, Byer, the Grizzlies got their second goal of the night at 7:52 in the third from a familiar face.
Roberts scored an unassisted breakaway goal for his second consecutive game with two goals.
The final two minutes of the game saw the Grizzlies on a two man advantage but as time ran out, the Heat held off the onslaught of Revelstoke shots to seal the victory 3-2.
The next night on January 17, the Grizzlies hosted the Sicamous Eagles for the second meeting between the two clubs in seven days.
This match up featured a hat-trick from Grizzlies forward Tyler Chavez Leech, and saw Michael Roberts extend his consecutive point streak to four games after assisting on Chavez Leech’s second goal.
The Grizzlies fought back from a 4-1 deficit in the second to go up 5-4, three minutes into the third.
With 7:51 remaining in the game, Sicamous Eagle Justin Wilde tied things up at five-apiece to take the game into overtime.
In overtime it was Sicamous getting the game winner from Nathan Grieve at 0:34.
The Grizzlies fall to a record of 15-18 and sit in fifth in the Doug Birks division of the Okanagan/Shuswap conference.
Up next for the Grizzlies they welcome Kamloops to the Forum on Tuesday, January 20 at 7 p.m.

Kyle Simkins hails from Windsor, Ontario, where he attained his Journalism Certificate from St. Clair College. Kyle is developing a career in broadcast sports journalism, and has worked as a live host, field reporter, play-by-play broadcaster and camera operator. Kyle covers the Revelstoke Grizzlies for the Revelstoke Mountaineer.